Periodontal / Gum Disease Treatment
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, tender and swollen gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Constant bad breath or bad taste in your mouth
- Gum line receding, or gums are pulling away from teeth and forming pockets
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment, loose teeth
Gum Disease Treatment Process
We provide a comprehensive cleaning to remove built-up plaque and tartar. For more advanced conditions, scaling and deep root planning are effective. These procedures also involve inclusive cleaning, but deeper into areas above and below the gum line. A local anesthetic is administered as well. We also utilize an FDA-approved antibiotic called Arestin. The Arestin therapy is quick, comfortable, and once applied, antibiotics are released into your gums for up to 21 days.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before it Starts?
Simple, everyday steps can also be taken to avoid gum disease growth, including:
- Brushing and flossing consistently at least twice a day
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque
- Scheduling regular checkups
If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, it’s essential that you begin treatment. Besides tooth loss, studies have linked untreated periodontal disease to the development of severe health issues, such as heart disease, strokes, diabetes and pre-term low birth weight babies. If you think you may have gum disease, please contact Mokena Crossings Family Dental to schedule an appointment right away.